Macronutrients, “macros”, is a term for the three types of nutrients that make up the bulk of what we eat. These are carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Our bodies require ample amounts of each to function properly.
While 100g of salmon and 100g of buffalo wings may have the same macronutrient profile they are hardly nutritional equivalents. Some foods are more nutrient dense (salmon) than others (buffalo wings). Foods that are more nutrient dense (whole foods as opposed to highly processed ones) tend to not only be more nutritious but more filling as well. We tend to have more energy when eating nutrient dense foods.
It can take some trial and error at first but that’s how we learn. And once you know what puzzle pieces fit together, it really does become like second nature. This approach gives you both accountability and flexibility. You choose the foods you like as long as you stay in your macronutrient “allowance”.
You get an “allowance” for all three macronutrients and how you spend it is up to you. Think balance here. Aim for the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time choose whole, nutrient dense foods and the remaining 20% allow yourself to indulge. Remember there are no good or bad foods; just more nutrient dense and less. An occasional glass of wine, pizza night, and dessert are more than ok.